Thursday, April 5, 2012

winding down ... ramping up

I am almost done with my first project.  As I so often do, I have moved on mentally, even though I still have more two weeks to complete on this project.  It's not actually the work that is tiresome.  Miami is just running me down.  There is lots to like about this place, but the traffic outweighs any goodness that may come from beaches, food, and people.  Yesterday, I almost got into two really serious accidents within 45 seconds because people drive like they're having a bad acid trip around here.

But.

I am just ramping up in my job.  I am just really figuring out how to do this thing.  And I like it.  I am so happy being in a job where I'm not fighting losing battles every day.  I am getting more used to the travel.  As I laid down last night in a hotel bed that is identical to the hotel beds I've been sleeping in for the past 5 weeks, it almost felt normal.  I almost forgot that this is not permanent.

An unexpected pleasure of traveling has been experiencing the ways that different cities present themselves through their airport.  They know that many people, especially business travelers, may only experience the airport, a hotel, and a few meeting rooms.  The airport is the best chance to show off for those that don't have a ton of time to look around.  My two favorite places so far have been a spot near the airport tram in Miami and a moving sidewalk in Charlotte.
Right after you get off the tram in Miami, there is this wall of colored glass.  Most of the time, it is fairly unimpressive.  However, if you get there just before the sun begins to set, it makes the whole hallway explode in spectacular light.  They have nature sounds playing on speakers, which I have mixed feelings about, especially since the last time I was there, the CD was skipping and it sounded like the club remix of nature.  Strange.

As you pass through the main section of the Charlotte airport, there is a stretch of sterile, airport tile that has been recreated into a calming meadow, complete with wooden rocking chairs.  I think the trees are fake (???), but the effect is kind of neat.  At least, it throws you off the first time you see it.  

I am staying in Florida this weekend to visit a friend from college up in Orlando this weekend.  I will miss home, but I am looking forward to the opportunity to see an old friend that this bizarre floating lifestyle has provided me.

No comments:

Post a Comment